Assistant Structural Engineer - Oil, Gas & Chemical (Houston)
Company: Burns & McDonnell
Posted on: November 22, 2021
The Assistant Structural Engineer will work under the
supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project
teams to create world class designs for new projects, alterations,
and redevelopments on a variety of projects. The Assistant
Structural Engineer will work with the project team throughout the
design and construction process, adapting civil plans according to
budget constraints, design factors or client needs.Perform analysis
and design of structures for new oil refinery and petrochemical
facilities; chemical, biofuel and industrial facilities. Structures
include foundation systems and steel structures for: distillation
towers, heaters, compressors, pumps, and fans, and building
structures; unloading and storage facilities; cooling towers; and
underground structures, pipe racks, mechanical and electrical
equipment platform structures. Some specific tasks for a structural
engineer in the group include:* Design of various types of
foundations to support equipment, pipe racks, process structures
and cable tray/piping supports.* Design of structural steel framing
members for pipe racks, process structures and supports.* Design
modules for lifting and transportation.* Check adequacy of existing
structures and foundations for new loads. Design retrofits, as
required.* Assist with ad hoc projects as assigned by managers.*
All other duties as assigned.* Bachelor of Science in Structural
Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.* Or
Bachelor of Science in Structural or related Engineering Technology
from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of
Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
* Master of Science degree in Engineering may be substituted for
one year of experience.
* Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or
Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
* Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
* Prior internship and/or related consulting experience
* Involvement on campus or in the community.
* Basic knowledge in standard structural engineering techniques,
principles and procedures.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative
problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking
* Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
* Basic computer skills include structural analysis programs (e.g.,
RISA), AutoCAD and BIM (e.g., Revit and Tekla).
* Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building,
collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
* Demonstrated leadership skills.
* Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United
States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship
for employment visa status.
Keywords: Burns & McDonnell, Houston , Assistant Structural Engineer - Oil, Gas & Chemical (Houston), Engineering , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!