Railway Signal Engineer
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Basic Function Provides engineering support for rail transit
signaling projects, signal maintenance activities, and occasionally
other transit corridor (non-rail) control systems, including
project planning, design changes, review or modifications to legacy
designs and designs by consultants, QA/QC, and preparation of
reports. Works closely with Rail Operations Signals &
Communications staff, Operational Engineering and/or municipal
traffic signal staff, consultants, vendors and contractors on
system design, quality assurance and operational cost issues.
Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with
all applicable rules and safety procedures.Responsibilities and
- Plans and designs various aspects of signals and communication
projects. Provides review, approval, tracking and control of
Develops and implements appropriate engineering solutions to safety
related issues using SMS/system safety processes.
- Reviews appropriate industry standards and incorporates those
standards into Signals & Communications design procedures.
- Maintains and updates document control to include changes to
software and schematic drawings.
- Reviews design defect issues and system failures and provides
engineering support to assist Signals & Communications with
resolution and trend analysis.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses system equipment failures utilizing
software to review fault logs and integrate various systems and
- Develops and implements rail contingency and disaster recovery
plans ensuring the continuous functioning of rail specific mission
- Reviews material and labor costs and recommends efficiencies to
procedures and research alternative suppliers for system
- Prepares and reviews technical contract specifications to
ensure accuracy and legal compliance.
- Manages modifications to system equipment to meet authority
- Reviews and modifies CAD drawings and network diagrams of rail
signaling related systems.
- Coordinates signaling system modifications with traffic
signaling engineering as needed.
- Occasional work may involve analysis, PLC programming, etc. for
misc. (non-rail) control systems.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to
reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Education
Requirement Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical
Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related degree is
required.Years & Experience Required Minimum ten (10) years'
experience in engineering, to include experience in project design
review, maintenance, testing and implementation of rail
signaling.Knowledge & Skills Required State of Texas Professional
Engineer (PE) license is required (or licensure in a different U.S.
state with ability to obtain Texas licensure within 6 months. Must
have strong knowledge of systems used in railroad signaling, PLC
programming including interlockings, and design standards including
AREMA. Exceptional decision making and organizational skills. Must
be able to solve complex engineering problems. Excellent
communication (written/verbal) and decision-making skills.
Proficient computer skills in Microsoft office suite and network
monitoring tools, project management and AutoCAD, MicroStation or
similar software A valid Class "C" Texas Driver's license is
required for the job and must meet METRO's motor vehicle records
requirements.Additional Information The Metropolitan Transit
Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero-tolerance drug and
alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external
applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before
employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol
testing throughout their employment. Further, employees who perform
safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol
testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and
the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals
regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Keywords: METRO, Houston , Railway Signal Engineer, Engineering , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!