Engineer-Machine Shop Turbine
Company: NRG Energy
Posted on: January 27, 2023
At NRG, we're bringing the power of energy to people and
organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we
do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and
natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio
of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United
States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while
advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice,
working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is
available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn
and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.Job SummaryThis position is
accountable for all aspects of rotating equipment repair and
projects from fruition to completion with the emphasis on safety,
environmental compliance, quality, work scope definition,
productivity, cost and schedule adherence. The position's
significant emphasis is the maintenance, inspection, work methods,
repair practices and standards for the repair of major rotating
equipment (turbines and pumps) and select auxiliary equipment from
electric generating stations and similar industries.Note: Position
will be filled at the Engineer Level based on demonstrated skills
and experience.Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
- Promote accident prevention and safety awareness by conducting
pre-shift briefings, weekly safety meetings, job safety audits,
lockout/tag out compliance and accident investigations.
- Responsible for making sound, timely decisions with little or
- Follow quality control procedures including ISO 9001
requirements and monitor shop floor personnel and documents for
quality procedure compliance.
- Participate in a Team environment to develop work scopes,
resource allocations and schedules in conjunction with the Planning
Department, Shop Supervisors and Shop Management.
- Write technical procedures to ensure work performed on rotating
and stationary equipment maintains personnel safety and equipment
- Write final repair reports.
- Perform equipment failure root cause analysis.
- Design and/or load rate equipment including tools and
- Create machine drawings of new and existing equipment.
- Perform stress analysis on equipment using hand calculations
and finite element analysis software.
- Perform material composition and hardness measurements.
- Choose materials for equipment repairs and manufacture.
- Manage projects at multiple work locations and monitor
maintenance work to assure the most efficient/effective use of
company resources and the timely completion of projects within the
- Control Capital/O&M project(s) and budgets within the
incumbent's scope of responsibility and monitor expenditures to
ensure cost effectiveness and predictable cash flow.
- Perform special assignments within the incumbent's areas of
responsibility to include staffing studies, policy reviews,
maintenance plan revisions, program enhancements and problem
- Establish the highest standards of business conduct,
discipline, and ethical behavior to insure continuing compliance
with Company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate contractor activities as required.
- Normal office environment, machine shop and/or power plant
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- Some travel will be required.
- The incumbent is required to be available on a 24/7 emergency
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an accredited
college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a machine shop or turbine
and pump repair.
- Strong understanding of mechanical systems
- Experience in utility size steam and gas turbines and pump
- Knowledge of machining and welding processes.
- Valid state driver's license.Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering
- Strong knowledge of materials, mechanics of materials, statics
- Experience with Autodesk Invertor or Solidworks
software.Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven skills relating to computer applications such as SAP,
project scheduling, budgeting, safety and industrial hygiene, and
an understanding of power plant operations are essential.
- The successful candidate will be a technical expert, capable of
assessing equipment failure and directing workforce maintenance
personnel to complete repairs and/or improve the meantime between
degradation and failure.Working Conditions
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting,
climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to
access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment
(respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear,
gloves, ear plugs, etc.)
- May be required to work around rotating and energized
equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties
and responsibilities#LI-RA#CB-RANRG Energy is committed to a drug
and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any
applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject
to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable
suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran
Status/DisabilityEEO is the Law Poster(The poster can be found at
Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's
experience or skills.Official description on file with Talent.
Keywords: NRG Energy, Houston , Engineer-Machine Shop Turbine, Engineering , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!