Staff Engineer, Research HNO
Company: TPC Group
Posted on: March 19, 2023
We are looking for -a corporate Research Engineer that has
experience with lab scale reactor systems (glass and/or metal,
pressure systems), demonstrated ability to work with ambiguous
problems and create structure in a way that the problem can be
investigated, solved and well understood. Demonstrated proactive
approaches to identifying and creating value is a must. The
successful candidate will demonstrate being a change agent and one
who works with a sense of urgency, who is excited about problem
solving and implementing technical developments.
- The Research Engineer will help drive further growth in TPC's
businesses through successful development and commercialization of
new & improved processes & products. Development work in this
position involves design of experiments, raw materials evaluations,
process and equipment evaluations, formulation, scale-up support
from laboratory trials to production, plant support, and technical
service in support of commercialization.
- This role focuses on (i) the modeling and optimization of
existing processes, (ii) conceptual design of future facilities,
and (iii) the translation of new scientific discoveries to
actionable engineering designs. Activities will involve creating
techno-economic models of potential future processes, creating
flowsheet process models, and early-stage conceptual designs of
future plants. This role will partner closely with TPC's
engineering team.Responsibilities include:
- Passion for safety and working in an employee-led safety
- Designs and executes safe and efficient lab experimentation.
Participates in laboratory safety activities and leads lab-based
management of changes.
- Data development utilizing lab scale systems either though
hands on operation of equipment/analytical & complete data workup
in spreadsheets or with the assistance of a Research
- Manages R&D portfolio of projects and provides project
leadership in areas of responsibility. Communicates to steering
teams and business teams for strategic decisions.
- Operates with significant independence from experimental
planning/modeling through data presentation.
- Stays abreast of developments in their field by reading current
literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in
- Awareness and participation in intellectual property
development and identification of threats.
- Communicates frequently and documents work appropriately in the
form of internal reports, technology manuals, knowledge management
resources, external reports, and patents.
- Technical mentor to both experienced and less experienced
personnel in the group as well as outside the group in
technology/operations/commercial.Role Specific Knowledge:
- Experience in designing and conducting lab development work
using the highest standards using the scientific method.
- Experience with building and maintaining pilot plant/lab
testing units. Improving and modifying to meet testing needs.
Experience using and troubleshooting analytical, method development
and data analysis.
- Laboratory process control and excel macro coding experience a
- Project experience evaluating feasibility and potential value
of new technology opportunities. Experience managing external
development programs is a plus.
- Process modeling (Aspen Plus). Reactor modeling of
homo/heterogeneous catalyst systems.
- Develop techno-economic assessments for existing and incumbent
processes, and use these models to inform R&D targets, process
KPIs, and commercial decisions
- Generate a flowsheet model of existing demonstration plant and
validate against process data.
- Execute Front End Loading Stage 0/1 (conceptual design) for new
plants and processes.
- Generate Process Development Packages to progress new concepts
to the engineering team.
- Ability to deliver presentations or reports that distill
complex ideas into clear results and proposals; communicates
appropriately to influence internal and external audiences,
including senior management.
- Statistics (JMP) & six sigma green/black belt experience (a
- Root Cause Investigation facilitation - Apollo and/or Cause
- Particular experience (a plus): extractive distillation (C4s),
polyisobutylene, Catofin/Houdry dehydrogenation, MTBE/DIB,
selective hydrogenations (acetylenes, dienes, etc).Behaviors that
lead to success at TPC:
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your
- Be nimble, embrace speed and ambiguity.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and
- Ability to make conclusions with limited data yet drives to
make data-based decisions and conclusions. -
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science
- Relevant Competencies: Influences, collaborates, focus on
performance, proactive, agile, thinks analytically, and creates the
new and different.QUALIFICATIONS:
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, a minimum.
- Strongly prefer advanced degrees (Ph.D., MS).
- 10+ years of experience in the industry.
- 5+ years of experience in R&D, technology groups or
- Comfortable working in an industrial environment
- Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds, climb stairs &
- Able to (infrequently) work shifts during pilot plant campaigns
and operational turnarounds.
- Able to travel 10%
- Take part in operational TA where entry into vessels, towers,
reactors. Taking part in catalyst change outs with catalyst
- Flexible working schedule that allows for reasonable
accommodations for working from home or remotely.Equal Opportunity
Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe
contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate
against employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: TPC Group, Houston , Staff Engineer, Research HNO, Engineering , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...