Corporate Hospital Coding Operations Director
Company: Memorial Hermann
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Corporate Hospital Coding Operations Director Welcome to
Memorial Hermann where each of our more than 27,000 employees and
6,700 affiliated physicians share a commitment to helping one
another, our patients and our communities. Here, you'll work
alongside the best professionals in the business with the goal of
providing the best care possible. We offer an employment experience
like no other, and we've proudly served this community for more
than 110 years. At Memorial Hermann, the health of our community is
always at the center of what we do.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time, PRN
- Job Level: Mid
- Travel: No SUCCESS PROFILE What makes someone successful at
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the
- Multi-tasker JOB DESCRIPTION Title Corporate Hospital Coding
Operations Director Location 909 Frostwood, Houston, TX 77024
Category Allied Health Type Full time Requisition 100101365 Date
At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences
for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide
opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and
grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial
Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its
established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees
drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it. Job
SummaryThe Director is responsible for overseeing the Corporate
Hospital Coding Department, including operations, coding, quality,
education, and informatics. The Director is responsible for
oversite of hospital coding processes and services to respond to
evolving health care changes such as payment modeling and external
reporting information needs. This position is responsible for
positioning the Coding operation for financial and operational
sustainability, and proactively identifying and responding to
internal and industry trends in addition to overseeing the
development and communication of established performance targets,
key performance indicators, and other departmental performance
goals. The Director is responsible for assisting with attraction,
retention and growth of coding staff.
This individual reports to the Vice President of Revenue Cycle and
is responsible for directing the next level of Coding Operations
management (Managers). The individual is responsible for all coding
activities at all hospital sites. The position requires interaction
and collaboration with Memorial Hermann leadership, clinical
documentation specialist, clinical areas, and other revenue cycle
functional departments including Patient Access, Billing, and
Benefits start day one! Memorial Hermann offers Medical, Dental,
Vision, Life Insurance plan, and Paid time off. Memorial Hermann
offers a Retirement Savings Plan with Fidelity Investments helps
you save by matching employee contributions dollar for dollar up to
6% of your pay per pay period. Memorial Hermann also offers Tuition
Reimbursement and The Student Loan Repayment Program.Job
- Extensive background in hospital coding preferred
- Coding leadership experience in large, multi-hospital
- Keen understanding of acute inpatient coding
- Background in Quality preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with different service
- Ability to work with individuals of all levelsMinimum
QualificationsEducation: Bachelor's degree in Health Information
Management; Master's degree highly preferred
- Member of American Health Information Management Association
(AHIMA) with current Registered Health Information Administrator
(RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CSS) credentials
preferredExperience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Ten years of Health Information Management experience and five
years of coding experience at a management level position.
- Requires leadership and mentoring skills necessary to provide
support to department and promote employee development.
- Requires proven analytical ability and organizational skills
necessary to organize/assess information and evaluate
recommendations based on data analysis.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
to support interaction and participation in meetings with
physicians, payor representatives, and representatives of other
departments within the organization.
- Familiarity or experience with Vizient coding scoring and
ranking is preferred
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by
integrating our culture in all internal and external customer
interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health"
through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration,
compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial
- Provides strategic guidance and direction for system-wide
coding services; create and manage a strong coding culture
- Ensures the recruitment, training, and retention of motivated
competent coding managers, coding specialists, and coding auditors;
establishes goals and standards for performance appraisals.
- Analyzes and establishes strategic plans to ensure the coding
services are progressive and effective; work with other hospital
and system service departments to promote consistency in processes;
stay up-to-date on all regulatory coding requirements; effectively
coordinate work flow across multiple facilities to ensure optimal
quality of coded data and timely reimbursement.
- Provides leadership to coding management team regarding monthly
trending analysis of coding performance including weekly and
monthly A/R reports.
- Provides leadership to coding management team regarding
abstracting, coding quality and data requests including weekly and
- Oversees management of appropriate personnel, providing
recommendations for hiring, promotion, salary adjustment and
personnel action where appropriate.
- Develops strategy, specific goals, objectives, budgets, and
performance standards for areas of responsibly in the Coding
- Provides leadership and support to team members' interactions
with multidisciplinary groups, including Revenue Integrity,
Clinical Documentation Improvement, Case Management and Quality
- Provides leadership and support to team members' interactions
with multidisciplinary groups, including Clinical Care Improvement,
site specific initiative, and Vizient improvement initiatives.
- Guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting
performance standards and delivering leading quality services.
- Establishes relationships and effectively collaborates with
department and physicians, continuous improvement teams, and
- Effectively communicates with all levels of managers and staff,
and actively participates in committees, project teams, and
performance management initiatives.
- Stays informed and communicates goals, actions, and agendas to
leadership, work area and patient-care staff.
- Maintains a positive cooperative relationship with all groups
across coding and non-coding areas. Sets a positive example in
collaborating initiatives, identifying solutions, measuring and
sharing results and providing specific feedback.
- Maintains a supportive and positive working relationship with
medical staff and senior level management; serves as an internal
consultant throughout the organization on coding related issues
related to including MS-DRG/ APC coding methodologies, physician
documentation, and coding quality.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to
all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within
budgetary specifications including time management, supply
management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by
meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills
competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and
resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned. OUR CULTURE What does it mean to
truly connect with a patient? You'll find out as part of the
Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you'll have the unique
opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine
while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of
care. You'll serve each patient as an individual, and you'll help
develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you'll be empowered to do what's best for them while
also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in
your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your
mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your
success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite
you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care. Join
our Talent Network and get Memorial Hermann news and job alerts
delivered to your inbox. Email Address Interested In Select a
location and select a job category from the list of suggestions.
Then, click "Add" to create your job alert. Job Category Location
- Allied Health, Houston, Texas, United States Remove
- Revenue Cycle, Houston, Texas, United States Remove Upload
Resume Please upload your resume to stay current with MH News.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Memorial Hermann Health System shall
provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race,
color, religion, age, national origin, sex (including sexual
orientation and gender identity), pregnancy, disability, genetic
information, U.S. military service, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
Keywords: Memorial Hermann, Houston , Corporate Hospital Coding Operations Director, Executive , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!