Construction Manager (RETAIL)
Company: Becker Wright Consultants
Posted on: April 10, 2021
The Construction Manager is responsible for the management and
supervision of the construction of projects in a timely manner
(Schedule) and within a defined budget (Dollars). Supervises and
manage the construction of all assigned projects in the most
professional manner leading to a lasting and continuing
relationship for our company. Will also be responsible to hire,
manage and coordinate Architects, Engineers, Consultants and other
professional disciplines. (Pre Development Management Knowledge is
essential along with an understanding of the Entitlement
- Drives the landlord and tenant design, permitting and
construction process to ensure achievement of best possible rent
commencement dates for all projects as assigned.
- Provide timely construction cost estimates and maintain the
- Troubleshoots design and construction issues as they
- Attend and direct meetings relative to the construction
- To monitor the construction project's schedule and job costs
and keep the team updated as to the current status of jobs.
- Acts as the primary contact with the tenant throughout the
duration of the project.
- Prepare punch lists and make sure that all items are completed
as specified in the lease agreement and properly.
- Process paperwork and update databases, including but not
limited to: change order request, RFI's, payment applications for
general contractors in a timely manner, provide accurate input on
ongoing costs and distribution of costs to the project cost control
- Maintain transparent records and files on projects and
individual jobs, these files include but are not limited to site,
shell, utilities and easement, soils reports, correspondence,
customer invoices, contract documents, change orders and
- Maintain accurate and timely correspondence to all departments
on items, which may directly or indirectly affect their
- Foster good communication between departments by always being
available to assist anyone requiring information concerning
construction related data.
- Develop relationships with local and regional
- Develop relationships with General Contractors and Consultants
for contracts under the Blanket and Master Agreements.
- Work with the Regional Director of New Development (RDND) and
local Growth Manager to manage all facets of pre-development
activities, entitlement process and construction for new shopping
center development projects.
- On all properties approved for pursuit by the RDND for the
regional office, the CM assists in the process from feasibility
analysis, property due diligence, site planning, entitlement and
governmental approvals, and site acquisition. Works with the
internal team on layout, design and construction planning and in
developing the project budget. Monitors compliance with all
purchase and sales agreements and lease restrictions.
- Assist RDND in coordinating, and directing the daily activities
of the in-house New Development Team (NDT), including Leasing,
Legal, Construction, Market Research, Accounting, Financial
Analysis, and Property Management. Ensures that all data and
information is being processed and provided by team to support
Financial Analysis' preparation of proforma, budgets, and progress
and status reports for senior management.
- Takes lead for strategy, planning and implementation of
securing the development entitlements from all required
governmental agencies. Either directly or through NDT engages
appropriate outside consultants to represent company in the
- Ensures Company compliance with all controlling documents and
- Supports NDT with outside consultants, including Architects,
Engineers, Contractors, Planners, Attorneys, Partners, etc.
- Represent the Company in negotiations and meetings with
governmental agencies, anchor retailer clients, consultants.
- Resolve disputes regarding new developments with appropriate
- Participate as needed or directed by the RDND in negotiation
and documentation support on purchase and sale contracts, anchor
documents, closing documents, etc.
- Continually identify ways to refine and enhance the workflow
process.Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Construction Management or
- 5-7 years in the construction industry and familiarity with
reading construction plans required. Retail construction experience
strongly preferred. Two years' experience in mixed-use and
multi-story construction developments preferred.
- Detail oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze volumes of diverse information and make
clear and fair decision
- Team Player
- Understand the importance of evaluating opportunities that
arise and craft solutions that protect the company's interests
- Good steward of company funds
- Ability to travel as required
Keywords: Becker Wright Consultants, Houston , Construction Manager (RETAIL), Executive , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!