Director, Labor Relations
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Basic Function Directs the Labor Relations function and staff,
which includes negotiation, implementation and administration of
the bargaining unit labor agreement, including interpretation and
intent of the Labor Agreement terms. Performs duties in a safe,
efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and
safety procedures.Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Administers the labor agreement by providing guidance,
direction, application and interpretation to managerial and
supervisory employees in contract disputes, Memorandum of
Understandings (MOU's), grievances, and all employee actions
affecting or affected by the labor agreement.
- Guides and monitors issues from represented employees and
administers METRO's policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Reviews and updates the labor work rules as needed.
- Plans and advises METRO management regarding labor agreement
negotiations. Acts as the principal spokesperson of METRO
negotiations teams in all union labor agreement negotiations.
- Acts as principal METRO representative in contact with the
Union on all matters pertaining to disciplinary actions,
promotions, demotions, transfers, separations, layoffs, wage
adjustments, and grievance/arbitration hearings.
- Performs personnel administrative functions of direct report
staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets,
performance evaluations, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining
necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring
necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Assists managers in counseling and disciplining represented
- Develops and provides training to managers on labor issues and
trends, including administration and facilitation of disciplinary
and grievance processes.
- Assists in preparation of arbitration hearings, lawsuits,
bargaining unit labor agreement negotiations.
- Serves as project manager on quarterly Texas Department of
Public Safety (DPS) criminal history investigations of all METRO
- Responsible for grievance reports, disciplinary action reports,
Labor Relations weekly reports, and other SAP reports as needed or
requested for special projects.
- Conducts surveys of other transit properties on wages,
benefits, and special issues for Union as needed.
- Participates in new hire orientation.
- Approves all bargaining unit employees Employee Change Forms
(ECF) and union job descriptions.
- Promotes safety awareness and other employee safety procedures
in efforts to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Education
Requirement Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business
Administration, Labor Relations or related field required.Years &
Experience Required Minimum of eight (8) years' experience in Human
Resources environment with emphasis in labor relations, including a
minimum of five (5) years management experience, preferably in a
unionized environment.Knowledge & Skills Required Excellent
communications (written/verbal) skills. Strong problem-solving
abilities, judgment and decision-making skills. Strong
interpersonal and excellent customer service skills. In-depth
knowledge of policies and practices in Labor Relations, negotiation
strategies, job bid regulations, classifications and policies
concerning wages. Human Resources certification, (i.e. PHR, SPHR,
SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) is preferred.Additional Information The
Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero
tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal
and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing
before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or
alcohol testing throughout their employment. Further, employees who
perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or
alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation
(DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory
requirements. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified
individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national
origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability. Grade
Keywords: METRO, Houston , Director, Labor Relations, Executive , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!