Vice President Rail Operations
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Basic Function Under the direction of the EVP/Chief Operating
Officer is responsible for decisions regarding maintaining
operational policies and procedures consistent with the Board's
requirements and Metro's internal policies and management and
operation of the physical assets and staff of the light rail
system. Ensures the physical assets of the light rail system are
operated in conformance with METRO's objective of providing safe,
clean, efficient and cost-effective quality public transit
services. Works closely with Capital Projects providing operational
and technical guidance during the design and construction phases.
Performs integrative testing, commissioning, start-up and
pre-revenue testing for METRO's Rail Expansion. Performs duties in
a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable
rules and safety procedures.Responsibilities and Specific
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel
administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g., training,
supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations,
etc.) for the purpose of maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing
productivity of staff, and ensuring necessary department
- Directs and oversees all functions (Rail Transportation, Rail
Control, Rail Transportation Training, Rail Maintenance Training,
LRV Maintenance, Traction Power, Signals, Communications and Track
Maintenance) related to the on-going operations and maintenance of
the rail operating system.
- Develops the annual operating budget, operating and maintenance
cost estimates and life cycle calculations.
- Develops and establishes operating policies and
- Oversees all functions related to systems and vehicle
management and enhancement activities and Vehicle and Systems
Capital Improvement Programs (CIP).
- Establishes productivity and quality control standards, system
safety, cleanliness, reliability, etc.
- Works closely with all departments within METRO ensuring
operations and maintenance activities are supported as
- Provides operational and technical guidance to Capital Programs
staff for METRO's Rail Expansion Projects.
- Provides technical guidance in the development of central
and/or zone control criteria and performance specifications.
- Provides direction in the planning of yard and shop locations
and layouts and development of functional plans and requirements
for maintenance equipment and vehicles.
- Responsible for the development of track and structure criteria
in terms of operability and maintainability.
- Directs and oversees development of facility and vehicle design
and performance criteria in terms of operability and
- Provides technical guidance in the development of signaling and
communications systems criteria and specifications in terms of
operability and maintainability.
- Provides technical guidance in the development of
transportation and maintenance operations plans and vehicle
- Provides operational and technical guidance in the areas of
testing and start-up facilities, vehicles, structures, and other
rail system components.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and
- Promotes safety awareness and other safety procedures in
efforts to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-duties as assigned. Education Requirement
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Transportation, Business
Administration, or related degree preferred. Years & Experience
Required Minimum fifteen (15) years of increasingly responsible
management experience encompassing all functional aspects
associated with the building and on-going operations and
maintenance of a state-of-the-art light rail system. Previous
experience in establishing a light rail system is highly desirable.
Knowledge & Skills Required Ability to integrate
effective/efficient operational principals into the design and
development of a light rail system through close interaction with
METRO staff, external consultants and regulatory agencies. Strong
(verbal and written) communication skills are essential.Additional
Information The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County,
Texas has a zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all
employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to
undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to
further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will
submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the
Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit
Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements. We provide equal
opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color,
religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic
information or disability.
Keywords: METRO, Houston , Vice President Rail Operations, Executive , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!