Director of Risk Management (Houston, TX)
Company: Inland Rivers, Ports & Terminals, INC.
Posted on: September 20, 2023
Director of Risk Management (Houston, TX) Great Lakes Dredge &
Dock Company LLC is accepting applications for a Director of Risk
Management in Houston, TX.About the Company:Great Lakes Dredge &
Dock Corporation is the largest provider of dredging, land
reclamation and beach nourishment services in the United States,
and the only U.S. dredging company with international operations.
With the largest and most diverse dredging fleet in the US, Great
Lakes serves a wide range of customers including the US Army Corps
of Engineers; state, local and foreign governments; and private
companies both international and domestic. Headquartered in
Houston, TX GLDD has more than 200 pieces of dredging plant located
strategically throughout North America and in various locations
throughout the world.We are currently seeking a Risk Manager to
join our team!The Opportunity:The Risk Manager is responsible for
the overall supervision and management of GLDD's marine insurance
program and property & casualty insurance programs including
establishing standards and specifications for insurance coverage
and overseeing the solicitation of proposals for required programs.
Position also obtains the necessary insurance and vessel
certificates required by State and local laws. They will oversee
all programs, policies, and procedures concerning risk management,
loss prevention and claims management and coordinate, implement and
administer these programs to assure objectives are attained. The
Risk Managmer works closely with the CFO, Director of Safety,
Legal, and Human Resources to execute these
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of
GLDD, working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Manages relationships with relevant Brokers and underwriters
for coverages and endorsements.
- Reviews and determines all risks of loss to which GLDD's assets
are or may become exposed and analyze such risks to determine how
they can be eliminated, controlled, minimized, assumed or
- Partners with the team who coordinates with employees and
safety after an injury occurs interacting with appropriate
underwriters during the process.
- Work closely with the legal department related to any claims
that result in legal action.
- Approve dollar reserves for marine and non-marine property &
liability and other claims exposures. Authorizes payment of claims
up to approved limits. Coordinates payment process between
Accounting and TPA.
- Conducts periodic surveys and studies on trends in the
insurance industry and recommends changes and improvements in the
program from both a cost and protection standpoint.
- Prepares and monitors the annual budget for the Risk Management
- Collects, consolidates, and analyzes accident/incident data in
order to project GLDD's exposure within program retentions and
analyzes cost/benefit of various S.I.R./deductible programs.
- Represents the company in certain hearings, meetings,
arbitrations and conferences. Presents testimony at such events as
- Conduct contract reviews to assure the company is in compliance
with insurance requirements.
- Coordinates all risk and claims activity with the Legal
Department for proper compliance with laws and regulations.
- Interacts with each department to gather relevant facts that
ensure all exposures to risk of loss are considered and provided
for at the best cost-to-risk ratio possible.
- Maintains Sharepoint page on company website
- Responsible for acquiring the renewal info in order to prepare
policy applications for all applicable coverages for various
- Reviews certs from vendors, requests cert from broker in
conjunction with contract requirements, maintains database of
- Prepares claim notice submissions for underwriters.
- Prepares recovery submissions for claims over SIR.
- Day to day handling of all Property, USL&H, state-based
work comp and auto claims
- Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications: -
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with
major course work in business administration, risk management,
insurance, finance or related field.
- Five (5) years experience in a risk management role with a
- Three (3) years experience adjusting claims
- In depth knowledge of applicable laws including Jones Act,
liability law, tort law, insurance law, and workers' compensation
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate.
- Ability to use good judgment in the investigation, analysis,
and evaluation of claims.
- Demonstrated ability to apply investigation methodology.
- Knowledge of and ability to use effective supervisory
- Ability to effectively manage the workload including
organizing, prioritizing, meeting deadlines, and responding to
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a changing
- Competitive salary and bonus program.
- 401(k) program that includes 100% company matching of the first
6% of employee contributions with immediate vesting.
- Annual profit-sharing contributions by the company to
participants' 401(k) accounts based on company's annual
- Medical, Dental, Prescription, Life and Disability insurance
plans.To learn more and apply for this position, click here .Learn
more about Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company LLC here .
Keywords: Inland Rivers, Ports & Terminals, INC., Houston , Director of Risk Management (Houston, TX), Executive , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!