Labor and Delivery - Registered Nurse (3851)
Company: University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: January 17, 2020
Job SummaryTo provide competent age and specialty appropriate
nursing care to assigned patients and to ensure the safety and
comfort of patients/families according to legal, ethical,
institutional, and professional standards.Major Duties/Critical
- Competently and accurately assesses patients and identifies
nursing diagnosis/patient care needs.
- Competently plans and prioritizes age and specialty appropriate
care of each patient assigned.
- Includes patient/family education in daily plan.
- Communicates relevant information to appropriate health care
- Ensures planned interventions are consistent with the overall
plan(s) of care.
- Adheres to identified discharge plan.
- Is familiar with the standards of care applicable to assigned
- Safely and properly delivers age & specialty appropriate
nursing care to assigned patients.
- Executes physicians' orders for all assigned patients;
administers medications and treatments, and delivers appropriate
competent nursing care in accordance with UTMB's policies,
procedures and standards
- Encourages patient/family participation in care and provides
emotional support and comfort measures to them.
- Competently performs routine technical procedures/skills in
specialty area assigned.
- Provides patient/family instruction and healthcare
- Practices and promotes proper aseptic technique, infection
control measures, and body mechanics.
- Evaluates the patient/family response to, and outcome(s) of,
implemented care and modifies the plan of care accordingly.
- Competently and consistently completed accurate, concise, and
legible documentation on all patient, unit, and hospital
- Respects and supports patient rights.
- Practices principles of patient and employee
- Recognizes ethical dilemmas, utilizes available resources and
seeks assistance in dealing with them.
- Practices positive guest and patient relations.
- Consistently communicates in a professional and courteous
- Reports and seeks assistance in dealing with guest
- Establishes and maintains a positive rapport with
- Utilizes research-based nursing interventions and supports the
unit-based quality improvement activities.
- Practices cost containment for patients and the unit.
- Competently prioritizes and organizes work so that required
assignments are completed within a specified time frame.
- Effectively and efficiently uses time, equipment, and
- Functions as in interdependent and supportive team member.
- Assists in maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Exchanges constructive feedback with peers.
- Assumes responsibility for remaining current on job-related
knowledge and skills and ongoing
- Perform related duties as required.Required
- RN with current license or valid permit to practice
professional nursing in Texas.
- Three (3) years full time clinical RN experience with at least
two (2) years in specialty area assigned (or similar
- Must have current BCLS certification obtained through American
Heart Association (AHA)Equipment
- Able to use equipment and related supplies for a selected
- Able to use mechanical devices, such as those used in
cardiopulmonary resuscitation, oxygen administration, and
- Able to use related computer equipmentWork Environments
- Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Conditions such as noise, odors, cramped work space and/or
fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required, such as
walking, standing, performing CPR, and lifting materials,
equipment, objects, and/or patients.
- Occasional lifting may be very heavy and awkward, over 50
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be
adequate to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such
as reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining
details, sending and receiving clear and accurate oral
- Shift work is required at least 3 days per month.
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to
- May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable
diseases, radiation, chemotherapeutic agents, and disoriented or
Keywords: University of Texas Medical Branch, Houston , Labor and Delivery - Registered Nurse (3851), Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!