PRN Patient Care Assistant, Medicine Oncology, Days
Company: Memorial Hermann
Posted on: May 24, 2020
At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional
experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to
provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that
develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on
patient care.Every employee, at every level, begins their journey
at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization
and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our
employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryUnder the direction and supervision of a licensed
clinician the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) will assist with
delegated tasks of direct and indirect patient care. Job
Description PRN Patient Care Assistant, Medicine Oncology, Days
*PRN (as needed); 7am - 7pm *Minimum commitment of 2 shifts/per
week required *TX CNA preferred *CPR required *1+ year of
experience preferred *Acute care hospital or nursing home
experience preferred This Medicine Oncology unit at Memorial City
has 40 beds with a 1:12-14 patient to PCA ratio Minimum
QualificationsEducation: High School Diploma or GED
- Certified in Basic Life Support or Heartsaver CPR with AED
within 90 days of employment
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of
- Six (6) months patient care experience, preferably in an acute
care setting or
- No experience if Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas
Department of Health or
- In the Emergency Department only, no experience if graduate
from EMT (Basic or Intermediate Level)
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and
communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond
quickly to patient behavioral changes
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations;
demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or
assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical
terminology and computer skills
- Efficiency in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize
- Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive
sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with
patients, visitors, and staff
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by
integrating our culture in all internal and external customer
interactions; delivers on our brand promise of we advance health
through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration,
compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial
- Delivers appropriate indirect and selected direct patient care
at a competent level as directed by a licensed clinician within the
scope of hospital-approved PCA skills inventory according to the
needs and age of the patient/population served.
- Under the guidance of the license clinician, performs direct
nursing tasks including taking vital signs, assisting with
activities of daily living and hygiene needs, and obtaining certain
lab specimens; maintains simple drainage devices.
- Monitors intake and output, maintains related records; performs
skin preps and prepares patients for procedures as directed.
- Identifies and responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes
in the patient's condition reporting such to the nurse immediately,
charts observations and activities. Reports any changes in
patient's condition to the patient's nurse or charge nurse.
- Performs delegated or other specialized functions as
educationally prepared, prepares patients for meals and feeds them,
performs/assists with baths.
- Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations.
Assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of
patient safety issues, and ensures clean and safe patient
- Seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard
from room and reports findings to nurse or charge nurse.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior
about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion
of shift assignment.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety
rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and
participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and
ensuring the highest level of service according to established
service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to
all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within
budgetary specifications including time management, supply
management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by
meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills
competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and
resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Memorial Hermann, Houston , PRN Patient Care Assistant, Medicine Oncology, Days, Healthcare , Channelview, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!