Nurse Practitioner- YES Prep East End
Company: Legacy Community Health Services
Posted on: November 23, 2021
Legacy Community Health is a premium, Federally Qualified Health
Center (FQHC) that provides comprehensive care to community members
regardless of their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire
patient while improving their overall wellness and quality of life,
in addition to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening.
At Legacy, we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting
healthy behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes,
family planning services, and nutrition and weight management
information.Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with
specialization in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since
then, the agency has expanded to 10 clinics in Houston, one in
Baytown, two in Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive
services that include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care,
pediatrics, OB/GYN and maternity, dental, vision and behavioral
health. We also service students within KIPP and YES Prep schools.
Legacy is committed to driving healthy change in our
communities.Job Description**Must have minimum 2 years experience
as a Nurse Practitioner in a Pediatric and/or School-Based clinical
environment.**The Nurse Practitioner - School-Based (YES Prep)
Health Program will be responsible for administering care to
children within the School-Based (YES Prep) program clinic setting,
as well as family members of enrolled students in the YES Prep
Program under the supervision of physicians.Essential Functions
- Follow Nurse Practice Act for their licensure.
- Will perform routine pediatric care in school-based community
clinics including medical procedures and drug treatments according
to procedures, policy, and protocols.
- Assist the Medical Director and Director of School-Based
Clinics in the ongoing assessment of client services and will
report any need for improvement in those areas. Work with the team
in ongoing clinical development and implementation.
- Document all client care as appropriate in a timely
- Assess, treat, and provide medical services to clinic
- Consult with clients by telephone, triaging, and referring
these clients to services as appropriate.
- May be asked to assist other providers in the future as needed
due to clinic expansion.
- Participate in on-call duties as directed if needed.
- Ensure evaluation of lab results as well as other testing
results with follow-up of abnormal values as appropriate.
- Consultation with and referral of complex and high priority
cases to the physician on duty with regard to complicated
diagnostic problems, serious illness, re-evaluation of chronic
- Assist in patient education, preventative health care, as well
as health maintenance concepts.
- Participate in IDT.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement Program.
- Other duties as assigned including school-based clinic
registration activities and educational activities.
- Initiates an appropriate assessment of the patient's health
- Obtains patients' health history from interviews of patients
and others, and from the review of pertinent health records.
- Performs physical examinations.
- Consults with colleagues, supervising Physicians, specialists,
and other health professionals as appropriate.
- Orders pertinent diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Performs diagnostic tests and procedures and therapeutic
procedures, within the scope of practice, including venipuncture;
intradermal tests; intramuscular and subcutaneous injections;
application of dressings and bandages; administration of
medications; cardiopulmonary resuscitation; auditory screening;
visual screening; and aseptic techniques.
- Collects specimens for and carries out commonly performed
blood, urine, and stool analyses and cultures.
- Interprets health information and establishes diagnoses
consistent with the accumulated data.
- Formulates treatment plan, ensuring timely provision of
necessary health care services.
- Orders necessary medications and other therapeutic equipment
and supplies within the scope of practice.
- Educates and informs patients regarding the nature of the
illness and the progress of evaluation and treatment.
- Educates patients regarding health promotion and disease
- Analyzes accumulated health information and collects additional
observational, interview, historical, physical examination, and
diagnostic data, modifying treatment as appropriate.
- Makes health record entries that are legible, concise, and
- Advocates for the rights of patients.
- Provides primary clinical therapy and treatment of individuals
and groups of the patient(s).
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all
patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a
professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as
part of a team to facilitate the department's ability to meet its
goals and objectives.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe
his/her responsibilities related to general safety,
department/service safety, specific job-related hazards.
- Attends all required safety education programs.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a
safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
- Checks on the patient's environment and equipment to ensure
safety. Reports safety concerns promptly to appropriate
- Follows Legacy's exposure control plans/blood-borne and
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct
use of protective barrier equipment (Universal Precautions).
- Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control
- Attends annual education programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Work Experience
- Must be able to use electronic medical records with
- The ideal candidate is independent, enthusiastic, and highly
- 2-5 years of experience is preferred.
- School-based clinic experience is highly desired.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.Benefits
- School Holidays + 1 Floating Holiday
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Medical / Vision / Dental (if eligible)
Keywords: Legacy Community Health Services, Houston , Nurse Practitioner- YES Prep East End, Healthcare , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!