Company: Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Registered Nurse - Mental Health Residential Rehabilitation
Treatment Program - Houston, Texas
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package:
The staff nurse working on a Mental Health Residential
Rehabilitation Unit is a professional nurse with a broad-based
clinical knowledge enabling him/her to effectively implement health
promotion, prevention and recovery-based programming for adult
residents throughout the residential continuum of care.
Duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The Residential staff nurse functions as a part of an
interdisciplinary team in partnership with the Mental Health
Treatment Team, Veterans, and families promoting wellness through
effective holistic, recovery-oriented treatment, and the management
of mental health disorders including substance abuse, PTSD,
traumatic brain injury, and serious mental illness.
- The Registered Nurse creates and maintains a safe, therapeutic,
recovery --oriented environment in collaboration with Veterans and
other healthcare providers. (VHA Directive 1162.02)
- The staff nurse utilizes the nursing process when assessing,
planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting nursing care
- The staff nurse assumes Charge Nurse duties on the unit, under
the direction of the Nurse Manager.
- This nurse demonstrates a high level of leadership skill,
organizing and delegating care activities to other RNs, L VNs, and
- He/she provides feedback to the Nurse Manager regarding the
practice of others in order to improve care.
- He/she may either direct care or provide direct care to
- He/she performs telephone or face to face screening evaluations
for Residential programs, assessing treatment and level of care
- The Residential staff nurse demonstrates Veteran-centered care
and utilizes strategies for crisis prevention and
- He/she initiates and participates in quality improvement
activities at the unit, service or Medical Center level with the
objective of improving patient care outcomes.
- The staff nurse participates in Psychology Service and Medical
Center Committees representing nursing as assigned.
- He/she takes an active role in identifying his/her own
education needs, as well as the education needs of subordinate
staff, and continually updates clinical skills.
- The Residential staff nurse performs comprehensive holistic
health assessments, physical assessments, medication management,
safety and security rounding, conducts psychoeducation at the
Veteran's level of understanding, including recovery principles,
relapse prevention, illness management, and independent functioning
(VHA Directive 1162.02).
Paid Time Off:
Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
Financial Disclosure Report:
Keywords: Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston , Registered Nurse , Healthcare , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!