Safety & Health Manager
Company: Powell Industries
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Reporting to the HSE Director, this person will be responsible
for the planning, directing, and implementing of the organization's
Health & Safety initiatives to ensure safe, healthy, and
accident-free work environments. This person will also provide
technical safety & health support of the factory, implement health
& safety instruction/objectives, drive safety & health training
programs, ensure compliance to ISO 45001 and ISO 14001. Monitor
factory initiatives, and provide support to operations personnel to
ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal and Corporate
health & safety regulations and standards. Posted position does not
allow for sponsorship.
- Designs / plans / coordinates / facilitates programs & training
that support an environment of safety while building greater safety
awareness and encouraging safe work practices throughout the
- Facilitates and conducts analytical studies of industrial
accidents to determine root cause and implement preventive
- Document and inform management of issues, incidents, root
causes, corrective actions, and preventive measures to be
- Report and document all incidents to appropriate personnel and
appropriate government agencies.
- Engage employees in health & safety efforts via the safety
team, ergonomics team, and other groups (as appropriate) to ensure
a high level of employee engagement and focus on safety
- Ensure facility compliance with all Federal and State
regulations, as well as company health and safety policies.
- Implement and maintain ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 compliance.
- Participate in new product / process assessment to determine
appropriate safety procedures, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE),
- Administer ergonomics program.
- Collect and report monthly OHS statistics.
- Ensure all customer witness testing meets safety
- Ensure compliance to all safety procedures & guidelines.
- Promote safety and health awareness through internal company
tools (e.g. email, newsletters, signage, intranet, etc.).
- Ensure all appropriate health & safety training is conducted
and completed in a timely manner by all employees.
- This position may include additional tasks and functions, as
necessary to fulfill this staff-level management role.
- Bachelor's Degree in Safety Management, Occupational Health and
Safety, Industrial Engineering, or other related fields.
- Five years of manufacturing Health & Safety experience is
preferred, especially with Industrial Hygiene and/or Occupational
Health & Safety (OHS).
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and/or other certifications
are strongly preferred (e.g. First Aid, HAZWOPER, OSHA 30, CEAS,
- Ability to engage with appropriate levels of government and
corporate representatives on topics relative to health &
- Ability to effectively write, speak and generally communicate
to engage employees, management, and others in a productive and
- Strong knowledge of industry accepted safety practices,
including OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and
- Strong understanding of Workers' Compensation and Return to
- Understanding of electrical safety, including OSHA 1910 General
- Strong planning and organizational skills - project management
and/or process management experience is a plus.
- Intermediate level computer skills (e.g. MS-Office Suite,
database software, etc.).
- Must be able to perform reasonable physical tasks in industrial
- Sound exercise of judgment, persuasiveness and tact necessary
to oversee the administration of health and safety activities.
Positive, "can-do", professional approach; ability to work
effectively at all levels within the organization, often involving
difficult or conflict situations.
- Temperature controlled working environment.
- Some outside activities may be required.
- This position is expected to include minimum travel (between
- Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling
when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending
- Bending the body at the waist, the legs at the knees, and
extending arms and hands in any direction in a repetitive
- Standing, walking, and speaking for long periods of time.
- Using upper extremities to apply or exert a force up to 20
- Typing, punching or applying pressure to an object with fingers
- Perceiving size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with
In our 70+ year history, Powell has always known that our employees
are at the heart of our success. Without question, we have the most
talented people in all parts of our organization. As a
manufacturer, we recruit and hire experienced and knowledgeable
applicants to ensure our product is engineered, fabricated and
assembled to customer specifications!
Powered by Innovation - Powell's culture has and will always be
founded in our "can do" attitude. If we can imagine it, we can do
it. Become a part of our story, and let us help you write yours.
Hard work pays off in all of our teams, with opportunity for
advancement and promotion without sacrificing work-life balance.
Successful candidates must have a legal authorization to work in
the United States on a full-time basis, with only those candidates
selected for interview contacted.
We are an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity
If you need an accommodation in the hiring process, you may contact
. Application status inquiries will not be accepted in this
Keywords: Powell Industries, Houston , Safety & Health Manager, Healthcare , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!