Nurse Practitioner- YES Prep Fifth Ward - Pediatrics
Company: Legacy Community Health
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Nurse Practitioner- YES Prep Fifth WardLegacy Community Health
is a premium, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that
provides comprehensive care to community members regardless of
their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire patient while
improving their overall wellness and quality of life, in addition
to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening. At Legacy,
we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting healthy
behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes, family
planning services, and nutrition and weight management
Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with specialization
in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since then, the agency
has expanded to 17+ clinics in Houston, one in Baytown, two in
Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive services that
include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care, pediatrics, OB/GYN and
maternity, dental, vision and behavioral health. We also service
students within KIPP, Galena Park ISD and YES Prep schools. Legacy
is committed to driving healthy change in our communities.
Must have minimum 2 years experience as a Nurse Practitioner or
Physician Assistant in a Pediatric and/or School-Based clinical
The Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant School-Based (KIPP)
Health Program will be responsible for administering care to
children within the School-Based (KIPP) program clinic setting, as
well as family members of enrolled students in the KIPP Program
under the supervision of physicians.
* Follow Nurse Practice Act for their licensure or have current
licensure with the Texas Physician Assistant Board.
* Will perform routine pediatric care in school-based community
clinics including medical procedures and drug treatments according
to procedures, policy, and protocols.
* Assist the Medical Director and Director of School-Based Clinics
in the ongoing assessment of client services and will report any
need for improvement in those areas. Work with the team in ongoing
clinical development and implementation.
* Document all client care as appropriate in a timely manner.
* Assess, treat, and provide medical services to clinic
* Consult with clients by telephone, triaging, and referring these
clients to services as appropriate.
* May be asked to assist other providers in the future as needed
due to clinic expansion.
* Participate in on-call duties as directed if needed.
* Ensure evaluation of lab results as well as other testing results
with follow-up of abnormal values as appropriate.
* Consultation with and referral of complex and high priority cases
to the physician on duty with regard to complicated diagnostic
problems, serious illness, re-evaluation of chronic conditions,
* Assist in patient education, preventative health care, as well as
health maintenance concepts.
* Participate in IDT.
* Participates in the Performance Improvement Program.
* Other duties as assigned including school-based clinic
registration activities and educational activities.
* Initiates an appropriate assessment of the patient's health
* Obtains patients health history from interviews of patients and
others, and from the review of pertinent health records.
* Performs physical examinations.
* Consults with colleagues, supervising Physicians, specialists,
and other health professionals as appropriate.
* Orders pertinent diagnostic tests and procedures.
* Performs diagnostic tests and procedures and therapeutic
procedures, within the scope of practice, including venipuncture;
intradermal tests; intramuscular and subcutaneous injections;
application of dressings and bandages; administration of
medications; cardiopulmonary resuscitation; auditory screening;
visual screening; and aseptic techniques.
* Collects specimens for and carries out commonly performed blood,
urine, and stool analyses and cultures.
* Interprets health information and establishes diagnoses
consistent with the accumulated data.
* Formulates treatment plan, ensuring timely provision of necessary
health care services.
* Orders necessary medications and other therapeutic equipment and
supplies within the scope of practice.
* Educates and informs patients regarding the nature of the illness
and the progress of evaluation and treatment.
* Educates patients regarding health promotion and disease
* Analyzes accumulated health information and collects additional
observational, interview, historical, physical examination, and
diagnostic data, modifying treatment as appropriate.
* Makes health record entries that are legible, concise, and
* Advocates for the rights of patients.
* Provides primary clinical therapy and treatment of individuals
and groups of the patient(s).
* Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients,
families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional,
responsible, and courteous environment.
* Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as
part of a team to facilitate the departments ability to meet its
goals and objectives.
* Attends all required safety training programs and can describe
his/her responsibilities related to general safety,
department/service safety, specific jobrelated hazards.
* Attends all required safety education programs.
* Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe
manner as instructed.
* Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by Legacy
* Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
* Checks on the patients environment and equipment to ensure
safety. Reports safety concerns promptly to appropriate
* Follows Legacys exposure control plans/blood-borne and airborne
* Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct use
of protective barrier equipment (Universal Precautions).
* Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control
* Attends annual education programs.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Training Requirements:
* Current license from the Texas Board of Nursing or Texas
Physician Assistant Board and completion of program at an
* Provider shall obtain, maintain and participate in the Medicare
and Medicaid Programs, workers compensation, other federal and
state reimbursement programs, and the payment plan of any
commercial insurer, health maintenance organization, preferred
provider organization, accountable health plan, and other health
benefit program requested by Legacy.
* Ability to meet Legacy Community Healths EPIC proficiency
* Must be able to use electronic medical records with
* The ideal candidate is independent, enthusiastic, and highly
* 2-5 years of experience is preferred.
* School-based clinic experience is highly desired.
* Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
As part of values that Healthcare is a Right and not a Privilege,
we offer a suite of benefits
* Medical / Vision / Dental (Costs of benefits are based on your
* Medical visit copays are waived when seeing a Legacy
* 9 Holiday + 1 Floating Holiday
* 403b Retirement Plan
* Bright Horizons Back-up Care
* As a user of Bright Horizons Back-Up Care, you can conveniently
schedule care right from your mobile device with the Back-Up Care
app your easy, time-saving solution to managing family care
challenges while on the go.
* Paid Time Off (PTO)
* PTO Exchange benefit
PTO Exchange will provide you with the option to convert a portion
of your accrued but unused PTO hours for use toward several
different benefits and causes, based on your own priorities.
With PTO Exchange, you can convert a portion of your unused PTO
* 403(b) Retirement contributions
* Student loan payments / Tuition for the employee
* Leave Sharing donations to fellow employees
Keywords: Legacy Community Health, Houston , Nurse Practitioner- YES Prep Fifth Ward - Pediatrics, Healthcare , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!