Clinical Laboratory Coordinator - Blood Bank - 7am-3:30pm
Company: University of Texas M.D. Anderson
Posted on: June 13, 2021
The hours of this position are Monday - Friday 7am-3:30pm with
rotating weekends and holidays. The ideal candidate will be ASCP
The MD Anderson Cancer Center Transfusion Medicine Section is a
combination of two sections, Transfusion Service and Donor
Operations. MDA transfuses over 190,000 blood components (red blood
cells, platelets, plasma, granulocytes, MNCs, etc.) per year, and
is considered the largest single hospital-based Transfusion Service
in the U.S. serving the needs of cancer patients. In addition to
blood and blood components, the Transfusion Service acquires,
stores and distributes all tissue used for clinical purposes,
except for bone marrow, cord blood and stem cells.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Ensures regulatory preparedness at all times
- Ensures competency assessments are completed according to
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and safety standards and
enforces policies and procedures.
- Documents receipt, routing, and completion of CAP proficiency
testing and follows up with supervisors on any unacceptable results
for corrective actions and reply to CAP.
- Maintain procedure manuals, education records, quality and all
CAP and CLIA standards.
- Serve as a technical resource for staff and internal
Ensures laboratory meets quality and productivity standards
- Ensures adequate quality control methods are implemented
according to standard and addresses quality control issues.
- Is a subject matter expert.
- Ensures supplies and equipment are ordered and maintained to
meet laboratory needs.
- Assists with data base testing and recommends modification to
- Ensures productivity is sufficient to meet time constraints
established for current procedures and processes.
- Continually explores process improvement and efficient
- Perform clinical lab assays, tests, and procedures as
- Coordinate new test/protocol development and oversee the
development and maintenance of new policies and procedure
Responds to the section's needs by meticulously reviewing,
interpreting and assistance in writing reports for pathologist
review and sign-out demonstrating accuracy and a high standard of
Manages customer service interactions and relationships with
diplomacy and professionalism
- Initiate, develop, and manage relationships and networks
- Show sincere interest in others and their concerns. Listen to
feedback and input in a professional manner,
- Demonstrate attention to others
- Acknowledges and listens to differing perspectives in a group.
Performs personnel supervision duties including, but not limited
to, counseling supervisors or techs, monitoring Techs PDM progress,
competency assessments, and orientations. Assists in oversight with
the development of new tests, procedures, or instrumentation.
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory
Science, Molecular Genetic Technology or a related science field
(Biology, Chemistry, Physiology). Eight years of experience in a
clinical laboratory to include three years of lead or supervisory
experience. Depending on the laboratory, American Society of
Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC) OR
Certified Histocompatibility Technologist (CHT) by the American
Society for Histocompatabiilty & Immunogenetics (ASHI). It is the
policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to
provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status,
genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional
policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction
is required by law.
- Requisition ID: 138594
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and eligible for additional compensation for hours
worked beyond your usual schedule, paid at a time and a half
- Work Week: Day/Evening, Rotating, Weekends
- Fund Type: Hard
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 79,600
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 99,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 119,400
- Science Jobs: No
Keywords: University of Texas M.D. Anderson, Houston , Clinical Laboratory Coordinator - Blood Bank - 7am-3:30pm, Other , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!