Mammography Technologist I - Full Time (Day Shift) - Houston Methodist Hospital
Company: Houston Methodist
Posted on: October 13, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Mammography Technologist I position
performs mammograms, biopsies and bone density exams, as
applicable. This position performs high quality mammography
examinations in accordance with the Mammography Quality Standards
Act (MQSA) and American College of Radiology (ACR) standards. The
Mammography Technologist I position may assist with quality control
activities. This position is a member of the direct patient care
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are
essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a
dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to
achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members
of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting
pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards department goals for
retention and employee engagement. (EF)
- Communicates effectively with others to facilitate providing
the highest quality service during every customer and patient
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs mammograms for both diagnostic and screening purposes;
performs biopsies and bone density exams. (EF)
- Proactively assesses, identifies and responds to the needs of
the patient for adjustment or intervention to optimize patient
care, image quality and patient experience. This includes:
positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical
factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging
results and recognizes complications and limitations associated
with certain procedures. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or
special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
- Provides accurate explanations and instructions to patients and
family members at an appropriate level utilizing verbal and
non-verbal skills, terminology and language. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures
accordingly. Uses ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) to
protect patients, staff and general public, and follows radiation
safety standards. Maintains proper sterile techniques for
procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures
compliance with radiation safety and infection control procedures.
Complies with job, department and hospital safety standards,
practices and policies. Uses critical thinking skills to review and
critique images and make adjustments in order to obtain highest
quality images to meet requirements of the Mammography Quality
Standards Act (MQSA) regulations. (EF)
- Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into
appropriate hospital patient safety reporting system to improve
processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of
corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to
meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety.
- Performs daily imaging equipment quality control (QC) ensuring
all imaging equipment is in safe working order prior to use.
Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices
preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to observe and proactively
address patient reactions (i.e. contrast media and medications) or
potential outcomes and obtains assistance, as appropriate.
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient
procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies.
Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and
prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in department projects or shared governance
activities. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by
participating in in-services programs and continuing education.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline
competencies with a focus on continual development as a
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job
duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing
body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Mammography
(ARRT (M)) required; internal HM Imaging Technologists with at
least 1 year experience who are registry eligible for ARRT (M) may
be considered and if selected will be allowed up to 6 months to
obtain their ARRT (M)
- Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC) or
Temp Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-TMPGC) thru the Texas
- American Heart Association BLS
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Houston , Mammography Technologist I - Full Time (Day Shift) - Houston Methodist Hospital, Other , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!