Senior Patient Safety Specialist - Regulatory Compliance
Company: Memorial Hermann Health System
Posted on: June 25, 2022
At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional
experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to
provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that
develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial
Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its
established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees
drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
The Senior Patient Safety Specialist will have responsibility for
driving the system-wide patient safety program. This leadership
role will direct others within the system towards clinical process
improvements that will support the reduction of medical/health care
errors and other factors that contribute to unintended adverse
outcomes. The Senior Patient Safety Specialist will facilitate
safety assessments, coordinate the activities of the patient safety
committees, educate physicians, nurses, and other practitioners on
the system-based causes for medical error. The Senior Patient
Safety Specialist will communicate literature-based ideas regarding
effective patient safety strategies to others within the
organization, and facilitate implementation of the patient safety
program at all levels. The Senior Patient Safety Specialist assists
in the development of and coordinates improvement projects within
the system working in conjunction with physicians, department
directors and clinical staff. The Senior Patient Safety Specialist
coordinates the collection, analysis and reporting of patient
safety and financial data in relation to cost containment and
patient safety. The Senior Patient Safety Specialist promotes
interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters team work and champions
service excellence throughout the system.
Working knowledge of Joint Commission Standards highly
Knowledge of leading practice in clinical care and regulatory
Knowledge of CMS requirements/guidelines ideal.
Education: Bachelors degree or above in nursing, pharmacy, or
related clinical area required, Master preferred
Licenses/ Certifications: CPHRM, CPHQ and/or CPSO, or equivalent
required, or Certification within 12 months of employment
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Eight (8) years in Healthcare setting, with clinical care and
supervisory experience preferred
- Three (3) years experience in quality, risk, or patient safety
- Two (2) years experience in bio-statistical analysis or
- Proficient in event analysis methodologies
- Knowledge of high reliability methodology
- Self motivated, proven communication skills, assertive
- Strong track record of successful collaborative working
relationships in multi-disciplinary teams and with individuals in
other key functional areas to achieve desired outcomes
- Background in business planning and targeted outcomes
- Working Knowledge of the concepts associated with Performance
Improvement and/or Six Sigma (certification a plus)
- Demonstrated effective working relationships with Executives,
Physicians, Directors, and staff
- Ability to serve as liaison to external regulatory and
sanctioned reporting agencies to maintain, correct, and facilitate
nationwide public reporting of patient safety learning's and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and abilities
to present information internally and externally related to patient
safety trends, corrective actions, and changes to national and
- Knowledge of evidence based practice guidelines for clinical
care and quality, and patient safety
- Ability to work collaboratively with Healthcare professionals
at all levels to achieve established goals and improve quality
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by
integrating our culture in all internal and external customer
interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health"
through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration,
compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Conduct the investigation, summary reporting, data analysis,
response planning, implementation and follow-up of all events of
harm root cause analyses.
- Conduct periodic Common Cause Analyses of individual and system
failure mode data.
- Educate and coach staff in conducting Apparent Cause Analyses
on precursor and potentially near miss events.
- Participate in and coordinate comprehensive data collection
pertaining to patient safety to meet national, state, regional and
- Direct activity to meet Joint Commission National Patient
Safety Goals, including education, monitoring, updating, and policy
and procedure compliance.
- Coordinate the Patient Safety Climate survey at all levels of
- Contribute to short term and long term robust process
improvement projects to continuously improve patient safety.
- Facilitate and further develop safety coaches at all levels of
- Educate and reinforce leadership and staff in the Breakthroughs
in Patient Safety and high reliability behavioral based
expectations and leadership management roles.
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analyses on patient safety
- Educate and mentor hospital Patient Safety Specialists in
robust process improvement pertaining to patient safety.
- Participate in collecting accurate data pertaining to patient
safety indicator and hospital acquired condition measures.
- Sharing of best practices to allow for System-wide
- Collaborate with enterprise quality and patient safety program,
in particular the patient safety function, to share knowledge
leading to better outcomes.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to
all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within
budgetary specifications including time management, supply
management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by
meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills
competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and
resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Memorial Hermann Health System, Houston , Senior Patient Safety Specialist - Regulatory Compliance, Other , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!