TORTS Senior Assistant City Attorney
Company: City of Houston
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*SALARY: *$3,914.00 - $5,846.15 Biweekly $101,764.00 -
*POSITION OVERVIEW: *
Job Classification: SENIOR ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY II
Section: TORT & CIVIL RIGHTS
Reporting Location: 900 BAGBY
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY - FRIDAY 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM\* \*Subject to
*LEGAL DEPARTMENT *
The Office of the City Attorney for the City of Houston (the "OCA")
provides legal services to the City, its elected and appointed
officials, and its employees while adhering to the following
* Quality & Service - Achieving high customer satisfaction as
judged by our clients.
* Partnership & Teamwork - Working cooperatively internally and
with our clients to achieve the City's goals.
* Integrity & Candor - Placing honesty and ethical behavior
* Dignity & Diversity - Promoting each person's value.
* Innovation & Imagination - Seeking novel and creative approaches
to achieving the City's objectives.
Composed of approximately 100 of Houston's finest attorneys working
in 10 legal practice sections, the OCA handles personal injury,
commercial and civil rights litigation, major commercial and real
estate transactions, and a diverse array of human resources, labor
and employment matters, while also counseling the municipal
corporation on economic development, constitutional, election
matters, ethics and quality of life matters, and preparing City
ordinances governing Houston and its citizens.
Every member of the OCA is committed to "Service Through Law."
*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: *
The City of Houston seeks an attorney with at least one first-chair
jury trial in state or federal court to join the Torts/Civil Rights
section of the OCA. The successful applicant is a high-energy
self-starter who will litigate primarily personal injury matters
with room for growth in other areas.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Handling written discovery and motion practice in state
* Researching and preparing trial court briefs and motions.
* Taking and defending depositions of fact and expert
* Identifying experts and assisting in the development of expert
* Representing the City of Houston and its employees in jury and
* Evaluating case value and making settlement recommendations.
* Preparing case memoranda and representing the City in
* Counseling the client departments and training city employees on
the enforcement or meaning of city ordinances and policies.
* Assisting the City Attorney and others with special projects such
as drafting City Attorney Legal Opinions.
* Drafting, reviewing, or revising city policies.
* Special projects assigned by management.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has
discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources
of discomfort in a normal office environment.*MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Requires a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar
Association accredited college of law. Requires basic computer
skills and working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.
Minimum of 13 years of experience practicing law and must be an
active member in good standing of the Texas State Bar and eligible
for admission to Federal court.
Must be a member of the Texas State Bar on or about the first day
of employment. If selected for this position, official proof of a
J.D. degree and membership in the Texas State Bar is required and
membership in the state bar must be kept current as a condition of
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $101,764.00 - $152,000.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* License to practice law in Texas (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: City of Houston, Houston , TORTS Senior Assistant City Attorney, Other , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!