Rail Safety Officer
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Basic Function Under general supervision, performs professional
work in the development and implementation of Authority safety
standards, procedures, and specifications including methodologies
and strategies that promote safe operations, safety awareness, and
accident prevention within the Authority. Acts as liaison and works
collaboratively with field operations in implementing Safety
Management System (SMS) and performs safety audits, inspections,
and investigations within the Authority to ensure best practices
are utilized. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in
compliance with all applicable rules and safety
procedures.Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Supports all aspects of the agency's Public Transportation
Agency Safety Plan.
- Ensures Rail Operations compliance with safety requirements and
regulations including Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT)
State Safety Oversight (SSO) Program, Federal Transit
Administration (FTA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Uses SMS methods and principles to address safety issues
throughout the rail system.
- Performs risk assessments, evaluates the effectiveness of
safety control programs and practices, and makes safety risk
- Conducts safety audits of grade crossings and other signaling
systems along the rail alignment to ensure they are working
according to design specifications.
- Responds to accidents and participates in accident
- Conducts Safety Events investigations; determines the
classification of these events and preventability. Reviews the
Safety Events with Operators and recommends additional training or
- Produces final reports of investigations.
- Reviews the Rail Operations Rulebook, Standard Operating
Procedures, and recommends new policies and procedures as
- Conducts rules compliance checks on employees and contractors,
including but not limited to ride checks, field observations,
compliance with Track Allocation procedures.
- Conducts Track Safety training for contractors and issues
METRORail identification cards.
- Participates in the Rail SOP Committee, Rulebook Committee, and
other safety committees as directed.
- Prepares routine and special reports for the Safety management
- Participates in the Rail Internal Safety Review Process to
comply with SSO and FTA requirements.
- Interfaces daily with rail operations management and employees
- Conducts and assists with the development of Safety
- Represents the Authority, as directed, to regulatory agencies,
including TXDOT, FTA, Americans with Disabilities Act, NTSB, and
OSHA as it relates to Safety Events investigations.
- Assigned to rotation for On-call hours after hours and
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to
reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Education
Requirement High school diploma or GED is required; additional
college preferred.Years & Experience Required Minimum three (3)
years progressively responsible related safety experience in rail
operations. Additional overall transit experience may be
considered.Knowledge & Skills Required A valid Texas driver's
license is required and must meet METRO's requirements regarding
motor vehicle records. Knowledge of light rail operations and
associated systems. Working knowledge of safety procedures and
federal regulations applicable to the transit industry. General
knowledge of Labor agreements, policies & procedures. Good
interpersonal and communication (verbal/written) skills. Must have
or be able to successfully complete the Light Rail Transit Operator
Certification Program. Additional Information The Metropolitan
Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug
and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external
applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before
employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol
testing throughout their employment. Further, employees who perform
safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol
testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and
the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals
regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Keywords: METRO, Houston , Rail Safety Officer, Other , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...