Crane Operator - Channelview, Texas
Company: Southwest Shipyard Lp
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Role and ResponsibilitiesThis position is accountable for
supporting field operations at assigned project location. Employees
operate a variety of tower, friction or hydraulic lattice boom
cranes ranging from 50 ton to 150 ton in the construction or repair
of barges, boats, and/or ferries. Works as assigned by the Project
Manager and/or Barge Repair Supervisor(s) to assist the project
team in ensuring timely and successful completion of Barge Repair
project. Typically, they will work closely with Welders, Laborers,
and/or other skilled or semi-skilled craft workers. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Operates assigned heavy equipment in a safe and effective
manner to minimize the risk of injury, property damage, or loss of
- Maneuvers and positions loads over designated areas in a
smooth, safe manner.
- Utilizes load charts to ensure lifts are performed within the
determined load and radius capabilities of the crane.
- Assists in the assembly and disassembly of the crane
installation of boom and hoisting cables on the crane.
- Performs maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing, oiling,
and fueling of assigned equipment.
- Performs daily equipment inspection of crane and recognizes
possible problem areas such as worn cables, worn bands on hoisting
mechanisms, broken gears, housing, etc.; Advises Foreman of any
requirements for maintenance or repairs.
- Ensures that crane is properly secured upon the work barge
prior to moving from one work location to another and otherwise
demonstrates safe work practices in all aspects of crane
- Ensures the crane has adequate ground bearing capacity to
ensure the stability of the crane throughout lifting
- Is responsible for all rigging and the method in which loads
- Works closely with site management and workers to complete
projects in a safe, efficient, and timely manner.
- Performs crane operator duties and rigging functions associated
with lifting operations.
- Makes precise load placements where exact movements are
necessary to position the load accurately and safely under complex
and adverse conditions.
- Works with and assists crew in excavation activities which may
include hoisting material, tools, equipment, and/or any related
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Participates in Safety and Environmental initiatives that will
contribute to compliance of State/Federal regulations and improve
existing Company programs.
- Responsible and accountable for employee's own personal safety,
as well as the safety of all co-workers and any others employee
- Authorized and obligated to stop work on any task or series of
tasks whenever an unsafe condition or situation is anticipated or
is observed; Alerts Foreman, Safety Officer, or Human Resources to
observed safety issues.
- This position may require long hours and weekend
work.Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 3-5 years' experience operating tower, friction or hydraulic
cranes required; High school diploma or equivalent; or minimum of
three (3) years' related experience and/or training, or equivalent
combination of experience, education, and/or training which
provides the necessary crane operator skills, knowledge and
abilities is required.
- The employee must:
- Demonstrate ability to operate equipment in a safe and
- Demonstrate knowledge of construction rigging standards: use of
slings, cable chokers, spreader bars, multi-part load blocks,
- Demonstrate ability to read, understand and use crane load
charts to determine load and radius capabilities of assigned
- Demonstrate ability to follow instructions and make decisions
based on safety and operational standards of assigned
- Demonstrate ability to read and write.
- Competencies: Stress management/Composure, Communication
proficiency, Teamwork orientation, Results driven
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials, and supplies
used on Barge Repair projects.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and draw
- Working knowledge of Shipyard operations preferred. Preferred
SkillsPHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTSThe employee must be able to
perform the essential functions of the job with or without
reasonable workplace accommodation. The employee frequently works
near moving mechanical parts, and regularly works in outside
weather conditions. The individual must properly utilize
appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as required. This
includes hard hat, safety glasses, reflective vest, respirators,
ear plugs, steel toed shoes, personal flotation devices (PFD's), or
other protective equipment as required by the work performed and
location the work is being conducted. In addition, Crane Operators
must also be capable of:
- Walking, stepping, climbing, or otherwise moving from one
location on the job site to another, which may be of varying
heights and access parameters.
- Accessing and exiting machines safely.
- Standing, stooping, bending, crouching, kneeling, squatting,
climbing, or sitting for long periods of time.
- Repetitive movements by feet, shoulders, arms, wrists, hands
and back in performance of work.
- Climbing vertical ladders of a height of 6ft or greater.
- Working in confined work areas and/or elevated heights.
- Lifting objects of minimum of 10lbs, with maximum single-person
lift limit of 50lbs, with frequent lifting and carrying.
- Adapting to temperature changes, outdoor conditions, and
prolonged exposure to dusty, wet, or humid conditions, loud noises,
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
the ability to adjust focus; 20/20 vision (naturally or with
corrective lenses). Must be able to pass Crane Operator Physical.
The Company expects and requires all employees to observe and
fulfill all safety responsibilities as outlined in workplace safety
training, and actively work toward maintaining a safe workplace.
Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action, up to and
including termination of employment. Regular attendance and
punctuality is required of all employees. Employment at Southwest
Shipyard, LP is on an "at-will" basis. There is no contract of
employment between Southwest Shipyard, LP, and anyone or all its
employees unless explicitly stated elsewhere. Employment security
cannot be guaranteed for or by any employee. No Manager,
Supervisor, or employee of the Company has any authority to enter
into an agreement for employment for any specified period of time
or to make an agreement for employment other than at-will. Only the
Owner or President has the authority to modify the at-will
relationship, and then only in writing specifically addressed to
the employee on this issue and signed by that Southwest Shipyard,
LP Executive. PIdcb3efdbd265-31181-33199104
Keywords: Southwest Shipyard Lp, Houston , Crane Operator - Channelview, Texas, Other , Channelview, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!