Registered Nurse - Lactation Consultant - Lactation RN
Company: Texas Children's Hospital
Posted on: January 28, 2023
Registered Nurse - Lactation ConsultantJob Summary
We are looking for a RN Lactation Consultant to provide support and
instruction to mother/infant dyads with breastfeeding
needs/lactation problems in a manner developmentally appropriate
for adolescents and adults as necessary.
Think you have what it takes?
* excellent communication, collaboration, and team work skill
* willingness to float/ work all areas of main campus (this
position offers continuous learning)
* Instructs mothers (adolescents and adults) on all tasks necessary
to initiate and maintain lactation during the infant's
hospitalization; may include prenatal instruction and
* Communicates the information obtained from maternal and infant
observation and evaluation, collaborates with health care team for
development and ongoing modification of plan of care.
* Documents observations, assessments, and recommendations made
during consultation in patient record.
* Serves as an expert resource to departments and staff throughout
the facility to ensure knowledge of, and adherence to, hospital
policies and procedures related to human milk collection, storage,
transport and feeding.
* Obtains information on maternal medication use and evaluates its
compatibility or prohibitive status related to breastfeeding or
expressed breast milk feeding.
* Reports findings to mother and medical team through departmental
* Demonstrates commitment to team, excellent professionalism,
interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
* Represents department and self as a liaison to patients/families,
visitors, peers and other health care team members.
* Displays good judgment when interacting with others and
demonstrates positive and effective interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrates the ability to problem solve, identify appropriate
resources, adapt to ongoing changes and handle conflict management
with a professional and supportive attitude
* Ensures and participates in ongoing communication with other
health care team members in order to enhance the patient's plan of
care, advocate for the patient/family and facilitate unit
* Demonstrates willingness and ability to acquire new knowledge,
demonstrate new skills needed to improve individual, team, and
* Acts as a resource to new employees and other members of the team
to ensure the delivery of quality patient care.
* Participates in departmental and hospital performance improvement
activities (committees, in-services, task forces); offers written
or verbal recommendations and participates in development of team
goals on a yearly basis.
* Provides active membership in hospital work teams/committees that
require Lactation Services participation.
* Participates in the review/update of lactation related policies,
procedures and workflows and provides feedback to departmental
* Works collaboratively to coordinate Lactation Consultant schedule
and assignments; adjusts to census and workload as needed.
* Participates in orientation and mentoring of new staff to
Lactation and Milk Bank areas.
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all
employees at Texas Children's, unless approved for a medical or
* Bachelor's degree in nursing, associate's degree, or technical
diploma in nursing with acceptance or current enrollment in a BSN
program and signed agreement or an associate's degree in a related
field accepted by the Texas Board of Nursing for the purposes of
obtaining and maintaining an RN license required or must be
currently enrolled in a nursing bridge program working toward an
MSN with a verified BSN-equivalency or a signed agreement.
* 1 year experience in nursing (minimum)
* RN License by Texas Board of Nursing or Nurse License CompactCPR
- Basic Life Support from the American Heart AssociationThe ability
to demonstrate positive and appropriate interpersonal skills, good
time and resource management skills, flexibility, strong oral and
written communication skills, knowledge of unit-specific equipment,
and knowledge of the nursing process, critical thinking skills,
PALS, and interdisciplinary collaboration
* experience working in a lactation specialized program OR
experience in obstetrics, post-partum, mother/baby, or NICU highly
* IBCLC - International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
* Knowledgeable of physiologic and social sciences to breastfeeding
* Ability to organize and time manage job tasks effectively
* Provides lactation instruction and support.
Since 1954, Texas Children's has been leading the charge in patient
care, education and research to accelerate health care for children
and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly
shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our
numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best
children's hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by
U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston
Business Journal as one of this city's Best Places to Work for ten
Texas Children's comprehensive health care network includes our
primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over
40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological
Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research;
Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive
obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas
Children's Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban
West Houston; and Texas Children's Hospital The Woodlands, a second
community hospital opening in 2017. We have also created the
nation's first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric
primary care network in the country and a global health program
that is channeling care to children and women all over the world.
Texas Children's Hospital is also academically affiliated with
Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and
successful pediatric programs in the nation.
To join our community of 13,000 dedicated team members, visit
texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also
learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.
Texas Children's is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All
applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions
at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical
disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age,
genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected
Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the
performance of the work involved
Keywords: Texas Children's Hospital, Houston , Registered Nurse - Lactation Consultant - Lactation RN, Professions , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!