Company: Southwest Shipyard Lp
Posted on: November 19, 2023
SUMMARY OF COMPANYSouthwest Shipyard, LP provides gas freeing
and cleaning services, steaming, and flaring services, Barge and
boat repair, Surface preparation and painting, water treatment and
new construction services to the commercial and government marine
industry. Southwest Shipyard owns and operates four (4) shipyards
in South Texas with direct deep-water access to the Gulf of Mexico.
We take pride in our dedicated and experienced workforce that
focuses on Quality, Safety and Environmental Excellence. Our motto
is "Faster, Safer, Better". JOB SUMMARYThis position is responsible
for performing tasks involving collection and laboratory testing of
water, wastewater and sludge samples to determine the efficiency,
characteristics, and effectiveness of wastewater treatment
processes and regulatory compliance. Under general supervision, the
employee is required to exercise some initiative and independent
judgment in the performance of assigned tasks. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform wastewater treatment functions in compliance with
quality assurance requirements specified in Quality & Environmental
Manuals and procedures.
- Label all samples with customer name, hazard information and
indicate any other information on the product.
- Record tank levels through predefined database
- Complete manifests: coordinate the unload of trucks as required
during the shift.
- Manage analytical testing (as needed) complying with laws &
regulations applicable to waste disposal.
- Maintain lab/pretreat area logs to track how many types of
waste streams in each area and dates that loads are placed into
tanks to report for discharge.
- Uses various pieces of laboratory equipment to perform
bacteriological and chemical analysis of water and wastewater
samples during various stages of processing.
- Collects samples of raw and finished water at various stages of
wastewater treatment for weekly, monthly, and quarterly analysis;
transports and preserves collected samples; performs applicable
wastewater testing in lab.
- Calculates and evaluates laboratory data; records and maintains
required records, documents, and results for recordkeeping and
- Prepares and sterilizes equipment, solutions, media, and
reagents for chemical and biological sampling, testing and
- Cleans laboratory; checks and cleans equipment used; maintain
good housekeeping of lab area.
- Troubleshoots and performs maintenance of equipment; calibrates
equipment as needed or scheduled; performs work required to ensure
the laboratory maintains certification.
- Assists with quality control and quality assurance
- Perform other related duties as assigned. MINIMUM JOB
- Must be proficient in English and be able to communicate
effectively with others; Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Must have or be eligible for TWIC card.
- Ability to multitask, learn quickly, and meet deadlines as
- Strong attention to detail, with a strong focus on quality and
- Self-starter who can operate without direct supervision, with a
strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to effectively communicate in a professional manner and
be able to interface with all levels of management.
- Be detail-oriented, and the ability to follow
- Ability to manage time and tasks effectively and
- Must be available to work extended hours during peak workload
seasons (limited nights/weekends). PHYSICAL / MENTAL
REQUIREMENTSThe employee must be able to perform the essential
functions of the job with or without reasonable workplace
accommodation. The individual must also be able to wear and
properly utilize appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to
work or visit within areas where it is required. This includes hard
hat, safety glasses, life vest, respirators, ear plugs, steel toed
shoes, personal flotation devices (PFD's), or other protective
equipment as required by the work performed and location the work
is being done. In addition, Employees in this position must also be
- Walking, stepping, climbing, or otherwise moving from one
location on the job site to another, which may be of varying
heights and access parameters.
- Standing, stooping, bending, crouching, kneeling, squatting,
climbing, crawling, or sitting for long periods of time.
- Repetitive movements by feet, shoulders, arms, wrists, hands
and back in performance of work.
- Climbing stairs, and/or vertical ladders of varying
- Working in confined work areas and/or elevated heights.
- Lifting objects of minimum of 10lbs, with maximum single-person
lift limit of 50lbs, with frequent lifting and carrying.
- Adapting to temperature changes, outdoor conditions, and
prolonged exposure to dusty, wet, or humid conditions, loud noises,
- Visually inspecting equipment and verifying information, often
in small print.
- Driving and/or operating heavy machinery safely and be always
alert and aware of surroundings.
- Applying sideways/upward/downward pressure to tighten and
loosen hardware. The Company expects and requires all employees to
observe and fulfill all safety responsibilities as outlined in
workplace safety training, and actively work toward maintaining a
safe workplace. Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action,
up to and including termination of employment. Regular attendance
and punctuality are required of all employees. EXPERIENCE &
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Two (2) years of professional level experience in chemical or
biological analysis of environmental samples.
- Basic computer knowledge and proficiency and/or a demonstrated
technical aptitude to learn; Intermediate experience with Microsoft
Office Suite: Excel, Outlook, Word, etc.
- Experience with operation of Gas Chromatography and Mass
Spectrometry (GC/MS) Equipment preferred. WORK SCHEDULERegular
attendance and punctuality are required of all employees.
Monday-Friday -7:00am to 6:00pmSaturday - 7:00 a.m. to 2:00
p.m.Channelview Location: 18310 Market. St. Channelview Tx, 77530
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice. BENEFITS
- Competitive Salary.
- Comprehensive Benefits (medical, dental, vision, life).
- 401(k)/Retirement Savings.
- Friendly Work Environment.
- Paid-Time off/Holidays.
- Career Path Opportunities EEO Statement Southwest Shipyard, LP
is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will
receive consideration without regard to race, color, age, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law.? Southwest Shipyard,
LP participates in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.?
Southwest Shipyard, LP is not currently accepting unsolicited
resumes from search firms. Regardless of past practice, all resumes
submitted by search firms to any employee at Southwest Shipyard,
LP, via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at
Southwest Shipyard, LP in any form without a valid written
agreement in place for that specific position will be deemed the
sole property of Southwest Shipyard, LP. As a result, no fee will
be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Southwest Shipyard,
Keywords: Southwest Shipyard Lp, Houston , Lab Technician, Professions , Channelview, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!