Structuring Data Science, Senior Analyst (2211)
Company: ENGIE North America Inc.
Posted on: November 11, 2019
At ENGIE North America, innovation and excellence create a platform
for growth. We have a range of businesses in the United States and
Canada, including clean power generation, cogeneration, and energy
storage, retail energy sales, and comprehensive services to help
customers run their facilities more efficiently and optimize energy
and other resource use and expense. Nearly 100 percent of our power
generation portfolio is low carbon or renewable. Globally, ENGIE is
the largest independent power producer and energy efficiency
services provider in the world, with operations in 70 countries
employing 150,000 people, including 1,000 researchers in 11 R&D
We are looking for talented and motivated individuals to create the
future of energy and customer solutions. Join a rewarding and
flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity
to help customers meet their energy challenges today and in the
The Job: Structuring and Data Science, Senior Analyst - Retail
Working in a team environment, the Sr. Analyst will participate in
the pricing, structuring, and profitability analysis of the Engie
Resources retail electricity portfolio. Leveraging advanced
analytics and other mathematical and programmatic techniques, the
Sr. Analyst will identify opportunities, propose solutions and
generate actionable insights in support and sales, pricing and
portfolio management activities.
Essential Job Functions
* Research complex business problems and identify opportunities to
design, develop, and propose actionable solutions in support of
pricing, portfolio management and margin analysis activities.
* Support the development and enhancement of models and system
platforms to support pricing and portfolio management
* Participate in the development and calibration of historical and
forward pricing curves for power, natural gas, ancillary services,
renewable energy credits and all other cost components of full
requirements retail electricity products.
* Analyze the price, usage and demand charge risk associated with
serving customers on various retail electricity products. Assign
and price product structures as appropriate and in accordance with
the Engie Resources product catalog and risk guidelines. Book
executed retail transactions into the risk system.
* Research and produce ad-hoc analysis on market fundamentals, risk
exposure, customer load characteristics, various cost components
and regulatory issues to enhance competitiveness, optimize risk
exposure and improve the profitability of the retail portfolio.
* Perform portfolio management activities including: validate and
submit day-ahead energy schedules, produce and reconcile daily
position and mark to market reports, buy/sell power in support of
retail sales, and aggregate revenue and cost data to measure
* Leverage analytical techniques on large data sets to produce
actionable analysis on customer buying behavior, competitive trends
and profitability of various customer segments.
* Coordinate with various functional groups to review and validate
customer revenue and ISO settlement data to gain insights into
portfolio profitability. Provide insight into the drivers of
portfolio value from budget development through final
* Support new product development activities through coordination
with various internal functional groups.
* Operate as a team member with all employees of ENGIE North
* Comply with all ENGIE North America policies and procedures.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Problem solving, strong analytical and statistical skills and
ability to convey complex technical analysis to a broader audience
including senior leadership.
* Understanding of energy market fundamentals, including customer
usage properties and pricing methodologies.
* Strong knowledge and proficiency of MS Excel.
* Proficient in R, Python, or Stata
* Experience in extraction, transformation and management of large
quantities of data using such tools as VBA, SQL, Microsoft BI and
* Strong analytical, planning and organizational skills.
* High level of attention to detail.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to think logically and with clear reasoning.
* Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage stressful
Essential Physical Abilities
* Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both written and
* Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a
high degree of accuracy and autonomy.
* Ability to use personal computer, calculator, etc.
* Could involve some lifting.
* Bachelors degree is required Majors in Business, Economics,
Engineering, Accounting, Mathematics or Computer Science are
* 5-7 years of experience. Can be a combination of educational and
* MBA degree is a plus.
* Retail Power industry experience highly preferred.
* Knowledge of ISO website portals and communication protocols is
* Knowledge of wholesale power and/or natural gas product
structures. Knowledge of power generation fundamentals a plus.
Knowledge of energy derivative and option products a plus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in
the work environment is usually moderate.
For this role you must have authorization to work in the United
States. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and
employees are treated during employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age,
disability, veteran status, gender identity, or expression, genetic
information or any other legally protected status.
This job advertisement is supported by the ENGIE Talent Acquisition
team. Agency involvement is not required. All related inquires must
be done to the Talent Acquisition team, not direct to ENGIE North
Keywords: ENGIE North America Inc., Houston , Structuring Data Science, Senior Analyst (2211), Professions , Houston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!